Friday, February 20, 2009

RUNNING AND MY 16.5 POUND WEIGHT LOSS!


I want to begin this blog today by letting everyone know that this morning I weighed in at 205.9 pounds! I was 222.4 when I started on January 10th, so I have officially lost 16.5 pounds! THIS IS SUCH A BIG DEAL FOR ME!

TODAY I am wearing a really cute jacket to work that I have not been able to fit in to all winter long because my arms were too big and I couldn't button it because my chest was too big... well... NOW IT FITS and I CAN BUTTON IT! YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THIS TIME the running is going MUCH BETTER than last time! OH... I am not even far along, but I think I am figuring out a few things! Everyone's input has been MOST HELPFUL! So thanks to all of you!

Let me just tell you about my "Running Adventures" so far....

I arrived home on Monday and Ben had on his new kicks I told you about. THE SHOES looked GOOD too I must admit.... Nice choice! So... I got all geared up for the run with those running shoes that Amanda helped me pick out two years ago... (They still look new and cute by the way as they were not FULLY BROKEN IN from the Hal Higdon era.... HA!) .... YUCK... the Hal Higdon era is not something I need to be thinking about to get me motivated. (see post Running... what am I thinking)

Ben and I did our stretching INSIDE of our house... this was probably a very good idea so that I did not bend over and frighten the neighbors for the homeowner's association MIGHT have left me a letter of complaint if I had done so.... Then every SINGLE time I bend over I am reminded of the "Sexy dance that was NOT so sexy". I just don't know how I will recover if I split the bottom of my pants in public...

ANYWAY....

After stretching, Ben suggested that I just leave my MP3 player at home because I will not need it. "We are going to do this TOGETHER and we can talk", he says.... LESSON #1.... MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE IPOD or the MP3 PLAYER! THIS IS MOST IMPORTANT! I was a little pushy about taking it, but when I got outside THE DARN THING WAS DEAD!

So... off we went from our driveway for our ONE MINUTE RUN... and it was pretty cold on Monday! I was breathing in the cool air, but I felt great. Ben was responsible for keeping track of the 1 minute and 2 minute sessions, so I tried to relax and rely on him... I was to follow his lead... NO PROBLEM, I thought....

Next came the 2 minute walk and I still felt alright... we were talking and looked down to notice that my heart rate monitor said that I was at 140! Now at 135, I burn fat... 140 is still a good range and at this point I am OH SO PROUD!

The two minutes ended and Ben tells me that it is time to run again! I said with excitement, "OKAY! YAY! Let's do this!" Suddenly I am feeling it... and not in a good way.... The cold air is setting in JUST ON THE SECOND set.... as Ben is running... he is going MUCH faster than me... How can this be... I am really trying to play the cool person here and keep up with him....

THANK GOODNESS THE ONE MINUTE ENDS SOON ENOUGH! I am once again happy that the 2 minute walk is in session....

Ben had to slow down to allow me to catch up.... I was trying VERY HARD not to let him notice that my breathing was out of control, I had sweat running down my face already in the 40 degree weather and I don't feel so good anymore....

BEFORE I KNEW IT... That HUSBAND OF MINE says... "TIME TO RUN AGAIN..." ARE YOU KIDDING ME? ARE YOU SURE? CAN'T BE! OH...... CRAP! I ran as fast and as hard as I could to catch up with him. It was quite apparent that his stride was much larger than mine. I had to basically run for three steps to match his one! I mean... I realize that I am short... but COME ON!!!!! LESSON #2... RUN AT YOUR OWN PACE UNTIL YOU HAVE ENDURANCE TO KEEP UP WITH SOMEONE ELSE! By the 45 second mark... my heart rate was at 178 and I thought I was going to throw up!

So... I want to admit RIGHT now... THIS WAS NOT A GOOD RUNNING EXPERIENCE for me... I finally conviced Ben to run on without me and I explained that I would catch up... he finished all of his sets and eventually had to turn around and walk a long way to meet back up with me! I did at least finish the WALKING portions to complete the 30 minute exercise, but it was the WORST 30 minutes I have had in a LONG TIME! NOT FUN... and with no music to distract me... I was a little upset, discouraged and ANGRY by the time I reached our house again! At the end of this, I saw that I burned 350 calories and although that is less than I would usually burn in a work out, I decided that I WAS FINISHED! F-I-N-I-S-H-E-D!!!!!!!!

HOWEVER......... on Wednesday... I WAS RUNNING AGAIN! Yeah... remember how I am on a roll to lose these rolls because that is how I roll.... YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!! THIS TIME I TOOK THAT MP3 PLAYER and WENT BY MYSELF!!!!!!!!!!!! Several of my friends wrote in to my last blog about running and I took all of their advice. I had that MP3 player with some good music, I REALXED more when I ran and I RAN AT MY OWN PACE, which was SOOOOO MUCH SLOWER THAN BEN! You know what else?????? I finished EVERY SINGLE SET and it felt GREAT when I was done! Also........ at the end of that run, I burned 450 calories!

Ben and I walked the dogs yesterday for 30 minutes and today is back to running! I hope this works out! I am getting excited!

I am super excited about the weight loss and if I keep dropping the weight, I will keep it up!

Hope all of you are well and doing well with your exercising too!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Brandi....I saw this link on your facebook. First of all Congrats! 16 lbs is ALOT. You are hysterical and such an inspiration at the same time. I have about 25-30 lbs of pregnancy weight to lose and it is NOT easy...I will keep reading to stay motivated!
    ~Nan Knight (Jeremy's wife)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another hilarious post!! I have soo been there before. When Alex and I first started dating, he used to want me to run with him....We were living apart and I did not want him to think that I was lazy so I told him that I was a runner too. Well, when he came to visit me he brought his running shoes and begged me to run with him. You know what that meant....I was in big trouble. I remember putting on my running shoes, which had not seen the pavement since I bought them 3 years before, praying that I would make it down the block. Well, after about 15 minutes- I COULD NOT BREATHE----I had to make up this huge excuse and tell him I had a blister on my foot. He now knows the truth about my running story. Keep it up though- It will become much easier.

    ReplyDelete