Monday, February 16, 2009

Running... WHAT AM I THINKING?


Okay... it is Monday, February 16th and I AM BACK ON TRACK WITH EVERYTHING... working out, eating well... watching calories and FOCUSING, FOCUSING, FOCUSING!!!!! I feel SO MUCH better than I did this time last week. I can pretty much eat anything I want without pain. Well.... I CAN'T EAT ANYTHING I want... but the throat is better.

I have lost a total of 15 pounds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was just under 207 when I weighed today. I am excited to be back on track and on board with the working out again... so here is what is NEW with the workout status.

My husband, Ben... he is so wonderful! He really is. I am LUCKY to have a husband who is so supportive about my weight loss without being too critical of me. He loves me and supports me. I mentioned in my last blog that he lost 20 pounds. He is still rocking and rolling and I am very proud of him. Ben decided that he wants to start a running program. This has been in his mind for quite some time now. He ordered what he hopes will be the "perfect" running shoes and they should be delivered to our home today! He sent me an email this morning and INVITED ME TO COME ALONG TO START THIS PROGRAM with him. He sent me a link for Runner's world and shared the program with me.

I reviewed it. I am excited about this, especially since it is something that he and I can do together, but I had to think back to 2007 when I thought I was going to lose weight by running. I had a blog then on my Myspace page and I kept a journal too. I just read it and thought I would share a little from that blog. I sat here at my desk and laughed out loud about my experience then. I am SERIOUSLY wondering if I will be able to do this!

When I started this blog last month, I promised to BE HONEST and PUT IT ALL OUT THERE... so if I hate this... YOU ALL WILL KNOW ABOUT IT and if I hate to the point that I want to kill myself... I will stop. Everyone can call me a failure... I don't care! ha ha ha.... Even when I was a dancer in High School and College, running just wasn't my thing. Nevertheless, I am going to give this a shot and hope that I can become one of those great runners with the pretty legs and limited health issues... we shall see....

So... THIS IS FUNNY! FLASHBACK....

One of the best friends I have ever had in my life is Amanda Caperton Cassell. Amanda is an amazing person. She is as beautiful on the inside as she is on the outside. We became friends at Mississippi State and have been through so much together. Amanda is a dietician and has ALWAYS been one to work out, eat right and take care of her body. She knew me at State when I was 118 pounds. We worked out together at the Sanderson Center and then sometimes ate pizza afterwards without thinking twice! (OH... the days).

So, back in July of 2007, I was looking for a fitness program and thought I would try running. Amanda runs. She runs 5Ks and 10Ks and marathons... THE BOSTON MARATHON.... then Amanda got into triathalons... Lord have mercy... skinny britches even did the IRON MAN last fall! Yeah.... (Don't EVER expect this of Brandi Kennedy Garrett)!

So below are pieces of my blog and my journal about losing weight...

July 13, 2007
I spoke with Amanda yesterday and she said, "Brandi, I love ya, but you need some GOALS! You need something to work up to and maybe running would be good for you. I know for certain that if you are successful with a running program, the weight will fall right off!" So...... this is when Amanda suggests to me that I should check out a website for Hal Higdon, who has running programs. I viewed it and was VERY EXCITED... it suggested a run, walk, run, walk program and I felt certain that I would be able to keep up with this! July 13th was a great day. I woke up on July 14th and looked forward to my run...

July 14, 2007
I started running this evening.... Oh my... that was tough... My feet are hurting. I think I may need some new shoes. These New Balances are just not for running and my arches hurt. I am going tomorrow to get some RUNNING shoes. I think I need to focus more on comfort than how they look. Amanda said she would go with me to pick some out! She is such a good friend.

July 15, 2007
Running is NOT as much fun as I built up in my mind. Amanda went with me and I got the running shoes. I got them on sale too for 60 bucks! Not so bad! My feet are fine, but my sides are hurting and the breathing thing is terrible. I am running at night because it is cooler, but the humidity is pretty tough. This makes it difficult to breathe through my nose. I don't even know how I am suppose to breathe. I need to remind myself later to Google that. ( I google everything)

July 16, 2007
What in the hell am I thinking? I hate this running business. I am trying to keep it up and follow this Hal Higdon guy's program. I KNOW it is a good program. The man is successful and he has helped lots of people! I also feel that if Amanda feels strongly about his program it must work... it has to work! I am going to keep at this. Motto... BRANDI WON'T GIVE UP!

July 17, 2007
(Below is what I wrote on July 17th, 2007......)
I gave running a shot again tonight.... my sides hurt so badly and I want Krispy Kreme to the point that I would rob a homeless man to get one eclair right now, but I decided to go out and try it again tonight.
I am not so sure about this Hal Higdon.... Hal's plan of "Preparing to run your first 5K" DOESN'T APPLY TO ME! He should have one that says, "How Brandi's fat ass can survive walkin .08 miles". Now THAT is a plan I could see paying for! I am going to die. I am REALLY going to die. This is hell. This is not fun. It was drizzling outside, humid, there is mud all over the street from new construction, and I am fat, dammit. I am really fat! FAT, FAT, FAT, FAT, FAT!! 210 pounds of lard trying to make it around the block! I think that all of the new homes in my neighborhood have foundation problems now because the earth was a shakin'! Picture this... It was so dark outside... When I made it back to my street all I could see were two big bright lights. At first I thought it was Jesus coming to get me, but it turns out that it was just the porch lights that Ben turned on for me. I actually cried when I reached my drive way. I am not sure if it was tears of disgust because I am so ashamed that I am sooooo out of shape or if it was tears of joy to know that I now had a beautiful whirlpool tub waiting for me inside and I didn't have to run anymore.

Well, I will be at it again tomorrow, I suppose. And as far as the Krispy Kreme, I guess I can control myself.

Wish me luck!

July 18th, 2009
I think I am going to accept this weight thing for now. I am in too much pain... I hate running... I need to find something else! My name is Brandi and I am NOT a runner. I HATE RUNNING!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
SO..... Let's see how we do THIS time.... I am NOT getting my hopes up, but we will see. Ben just might make all of the difference in the world!

I will update everyone later to let you know how this goes. If any of you are runners or have ever been a runner or look to become one in the future, PLEASE COMMENT! I would love to hear your thoughts!

Until next time....

9 comments:

  1. Good luck running today Brandi!!! I am so not a runner, but I am trying to give the running thing a shot! Ugh, I hate the very thought of running. Seriously! But its small victories...like running for 5 minutes strait, then 10, then 20. Its so difficult, but you feel so good when you are able to hit your target run time!! Good luck today and try to stick with it though!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are hilarious! I'm with you, girl! Good luck sticking with it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Brandi! 15lbs??? THAT IS AMAZING!!! Attempt the running for a few nights, and if you still absolutely hate it.....just walk. They say walking is better for your joints than running.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Alyson! I agree with you about the walking, but Ben is so motivated and I think he is going to actually try to run a 5K, so I want to do it with him! I did it last night and burned a lot of calories, but I really don't like it! I am hoping it will get batter in time, but it is NOT fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have GOT to get an ipod. I ran my first 5K last year...the only way I could have done it is with the ipod. I, like you, was only a dancer...or so I thought. When you run, you reach the point that you want to stop, BUT keep going, and the adrenaline and tingly feeling comes and you feel GREAT!! I particularly like to listen to Britney's new Circus album...when you think of her little hot bot dancing around it is great inspiration to keep going! Also, treadmills are much better to train on and will be less impactful on your joints. These are just tips that I use and thought you might like some of the ideas. I would have to agree with Amanda that the weight will literally FALL OFF if you keep running. But also be aware that it will increase your appetite, so have lots of filling, healthy snacks on hand!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Kel! I have an MP3 player and I use it! I've had 2 ipods and lost them. Now I have a new Sony and I like it even better than my IPOD! I couldn't make it through most of the work outs without it. You are the second person who has said that to me about Britney's new album. I am not a huge fan of hers but I think I will check it out!
    Thanks! Talk to you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. First of all 15 lbs is awesome!! I just started back running, and i have to run then walk and so on. I actually was on runners world last night looking at his plan which I like. Don't know if it was the same one Ben was looking at, but it was running for 2 min. then walk for 1 min. ?? we'll see? Friend went and bought the nike chip today, $35 bucks, and Ben may want to do that and do challenges with Bobby? I think it motivates me, me and Bobby place bets like who is doing laundry for a week, so on :). Keep up the good work, and stay Positive!

    ReplyDelete
  8. WTG Brandi!!! That's so awesome and I'm so glad to hear you are back in full force and effect! The biggest piece of advice I can give you though and it made all the difference in the world is that you need to let your body catch up to your breath not your breath to your body. Too often beginner runners start off thinking they need to put metal to the pavement and then get discouraged quickly when they can't keep up. It's also a fantastic way to get yourself hurt and burn out. Best thing to do is run SLOW at first...even slower than a jog. The way you can tell what would be a good beginning pace is to walk at a comfortable pace and then speed it up until you can't maintain that pace walking and need to run. It will feel more natural and you're endurance with it will be better. Over time, when you get used to the intensity, you can either increase your speed or your distance and eventually, you'll just naturally do both!!! Good luck sweet girl! I am SO PROUD!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow Brandi! I'm really excited for you!

    ReplyDelete